Hole 1 – John Macpherson
The round commences at a stiff first hole of 457 yards running parallel to the road on the left leading to the ancient church of Birnie and the distillery of Glenlossie.
This hole was re-named some years ago in memory of John Macpherson, the Club’s first head green-keeper who, for almost 45 years served the Club faithfully and well until his death in 1951.
The drive is from a slightly raised tee towards an uphill slope to level ground, from which only the longest of hitters may expect to get home in two.
The boundary fence at the left, and rough, bunkers and trees at the right, spell trouble for shots off the line.